Designed for those with some outdoor experience who want 3 days of incredible instruction, coaching and guiding. Want to improve your climbing, progress your skills and climb in new places…? Low ratios and only the highest qualified and experienced instructors ensure you get the most out of this course. This 3 day course is all about going to awesome climbing venues and getting epic routes done! There will be an element of instruction throughout, in particular on the first day. If required. A second instructor will join us on day 2 3 to keep ratios low and allow greater instruction, personal feedback and more options for guiding on day 3
Exact format is subject to alter based on participants’ abilities and objectives, but sample itinerary is as follows:
Day 1: Cragging, personal safety, knowledge and climbing (1:4)
- Choosing a suitable crag and route(s)
- Understanding the UK trad grading system
- Personal climbing movement and technique coaching
- Safe belaying
- Selecting and building suitable anchors
- Personal abseiling
- Basic problem solving and avoidance
- Choosing gear and building a trad rack
- Placing, removing and racking of rock gear
- When to wear a helmet?
- And of course LOTS of climbing! 😊
Day 2: Intro to Multipitch/Lead Climbing (1:2)
- Ensuring competency as a second – belaying a leader, removal and racking of gear whilst climbing, etc
- Building anchors with rock gear
- Single and double rope techniques
- Belaying a second
- Multipitch anchors
- Multipitch climbing techniques
- Stance organisation
- Changeover at anchors
- *Intro to lead climbing
Day 3: Guided Multipitch day (1:2)
- Guided ascent of a classic multipitch (n.b: often involves 1-2hr rough mountain walking to approach – you should be “Munro-fit” to allow us to get the most out of the course.)
*Personal hill and climbing fitness should be at a good level and currency, in order to get the most out of these 3 days. Some previous experience climbing outdoors is required.
**Exact course content and routes will depend on participants’ abilities, currency and fitness. We pride ourselves on being able to cater for and improve the vast majority of climbers’ knowledge, technique or ability.
*** At this level of course, it is expected that you will already have your own climbing PPE and have used it regularly indoors. (All equipment except rock shoes are available to hire). If you have any questions regarding your equipment, fitness, transport of the suitability of this course for you, please do not hesitate to get in touch.